Franciscan Healthcare - Munster Web Site

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Franciscan Physicians Hospital House Supervisor Pays it Forward

Susan Goodman, whose later name became Susan Komen, was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 33. Three years later, she lost the battle to her illness. Susan’s younger sister, Nancy, made a promise to increase awareness about cancer and its treatment in hopes that future generations would have better outcomes.

TO DONATE, CLICK THE LINK AT THE BOTTOM!!

Today, the breast cancer awareness movement has grown to international levels, with the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure Walk raising over $600 million dollars since 2003, according to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation. Taking part for her first time in this endeavor is cancer survivor Jessica Tancos. Tancos is a Nursing House Supervisor at Franciscan Physicians Hospital, who says her involvement is all about “paying it forward.”

American author and historian Edward Everett Hale once said this: “I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.” Jessica is reflective of that ideology as she works to raise the $2,300 to walk in the Susan G Komen 3-Day for the Cure walk.

“The 3-Day for the Cure Walk is such a distinctive event. I’m working to raise the money not only for the benefit of those fighting breast cancer, but also so that I can come together with other survivors and do something that, at one point, I wasn’t sure I’d ever be able to do again. I’m getting more and more excited everyday, yet I always come back to thinking about those still suffering,” says Tancos.

The 3-Day for the Cure Walk pushes men and women to raise money for breast cancer research while pushing the boundaries of their own goals. Thousands of people take their commitment to end breast cancer and walk 60 miles over the course of three days.

These walks, reaching national proportions, will take place in Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, Arizona, Cleveland, Dallas, Michigan, and many other locations.

Raising the money to participate in this challenging endeavor is no easy feat, but Jessica has taken the stand to fight back against breast cancer. As a cancer survivor herself, Jessica’s endurance will be on par with many others who walk as a way of supporting the fight against cancer.

“I have two girls that I have to worry about now, and I’ve lost two very good friends to breast cancer, both under the age of 45,” says Tancos. “I just hope that we can continue to expand this event and soon end breast cancer for good.”

To donate to Jessica’s cause, click here. This donation page allows you to post comments, track Jessica's achievements, and more! Click here to reach the 3-Day for a Cure website, which provides links, donations, locations, and more about the 3-Day for the Cure Walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment